The Starr Library accepts gifts at the discretion of the library director and/or the Board of Trustees under the following conditions:
- Financial gifts
- Unrestricted monetary gifts will be used at the recommendation of the Board of Trustees in consultation with the library director.
- Restricted monetary gifts will be accepted on the condition that the specific use requested is consistent with the goals and objectives of the library.
- Gifts in kind
- Gifts of library materials (books, magazines, tapes, etc.) may be accepted with the understanding that the library reserves the right to add them to its collection, distribute them to other libraries, sell them, donate them or discard them.
- All personal property, art objects, portraits, antiques and other collectibles, if accepted, are accepted only on the condition that they may be kept, sold, given away or discarded at the discretion of the library board and the library director. However, specific requests for the disposition of an item will be taken under advisement by the board, and the gift will be not be accessioned if the request is not deemed to be suitable to the goals and objectives of the library.
- Gift materials will be judged by the same materials selection standards applying to purchased materials, as described in the library’s collection development policy.
- Gifts in kind will be formally acknowledged for charitable contribution purposes if the donor wishes. The library will not appraise or estimate the value of gift donations. The responsibility for such assessment lies with the donor, according to IRS regulations.
- The library does not ordinarily accept materials for permanent exhibit.